Wholesale Trade: Early Indicator, January 2022
March 15, 2022
Given the rapidly evolving economic situation, Statistics Canada is providing an advance estimate of sales in the wholesale trade sector for January. The advance results for January indicate that wholesale sales rose 3.9%. The increase reflects higher sales in the building material and supplies, and machinery equipment and supplies subsectors.
This estimate was calculated based on a weighted response rate of 68.6%. The average final response rate for the survey over the past 12 months has been 84.6%. As Statistics Canada continues to collect data for the January reference month, this early indicator is subject to a higher revision rate than the regular monthly release.
Advance estimates by subsector:
- • Farm products: +6.3%
- • Food, beverage and tobacco products: +0.9%
- • Personal and household goods: +10.0%
- • Motor vehicles and motor vehicle parts and accessories: -6.0%
- • Building materials and supplies: +13.6%
- • Machinery, equipment and supplies: +8.1%
- • Miscellaneous goods: -4.8%