September 6, 2023
Given the rapidly evolving economic situation, Statistics Canada is providing an advance estimate of sales in the wholesale trade sector for July. The advance results for July indicate that wholesale sales (excluding petroleum, petroleum products, other hydrocarbons and oilseed and grain) rose 1.4%. The increase reflects higher sales in the motor vehicle and motor vehicle parts and accessories subsector and the building material and supplies subsector.
This estimate was calculated based on a weighted response rate of 58.1%. The average final response rate to the survey over the 12 months preceding it was 77.9%. As Statistics Canada continues to collect data for the July reference month, this early indicator is subject to a higher revision rate than the regular monthly release.
Advance estimates by subsector:
- • Farm products (excluding oilseed and grain): 0.0%
- • Food, beverage and tobacco products: +0.3%
- • Personal and household goods: +1.1%
- • Motor vehicles and motor vehicle parts and accessories: +5.8%
- • Building material and supplies: +3.5%
- • Machinery, equipment and supplies: -1.9%
- • Miscellaneous goods: +0.4%