June 13, 2023
Given the rapidly evolving economic situation, Statistics Canada is providing an advance estimate of sales in the wholesale trade sector for April. The advance results for April indicate that wholesale sales rose 1.6%. The increase reflects higher sales in the petroleum, petroleum products, and other hydrocarbons subsector.
This estimate was calculated based on a weighted response rate of 42.6%. The average final response rate to the survey over the 12 months preceding it was 82.1%. As Statistics Canada continues to collect data for the April reference month, this early indicator is subject to a higher revision rate than the regular monthly release.
Advance wholesale trade estimates by subsector:
- • Farm products: -11.9%
- • Petroleum, petroleum products, and other hydrocarbons: +8.0%
- • Food, beverage and tobacco products: -1.2%
- • Personal and household goods: -1.3%
- • Motor vehicles and motor vehicle parts and accessories: +7.1%
- • Building material and supplies: -1.0%
- • Machinery, equipment and supplies: -1.7%
- • Miscellaneous goods: -6.0%